Building architectural models is an essential part of the design process for architects. Here are some tips to consider when building your next model:
- Keep your hands clean Washing your hands every 30 minutes can prevent fingerprints and oil from developing on your model. This is especially important if your model is white. It may seem like a small thing, but it can make a huge difference in the quality of your final product.
- Plan, execute, and repeat Before you start cutting materials, mentally think through each step of the model-building process. Measure twice, cut once. This can save time and materials, and help you build your model more effectively.
- Use good lighting Building models can strain your eyes, so make sure to use good lighting. Turn on all the lights in the room to make it brighter and help you stay awake and focused.
- Create templates Templates can save you time and energy when building models. Create templates for repetitive elements, such as windows or curves, to achieve consistent spacing and accuracy.
- Experiment with glue and tape There are many types of glue and tape, each with their own strengths and weaknesses. Experiment with different types to find what works best for your materials.
- Use good tools and sharp knives Having good tools and sharp knives can help you build your models faster and more accurately.
By following these tips, you can build better models and improve your model-building skills, ultimately making you a better architect.